[O] Show presence of zero width spaces using overlay

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: [O] Show presence of zero width spaces using overlay
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 18:44:53 +0000

Hi all,

The suggestion to use zero width spaces to sort of "escape" stuff in org mode has come up many times. I have started using it a lot and suggest that to other people now.

Here is one such recent QnA on emacs.SE: http://emacs.stackexchange.com/a/16702/115

The OP of that question made a valid point that while using zero width spaces is convenient, it is not apparent where it has been used in the document.

To resolve that, I am requesting a feature.

Can the zero width spaces be optionally represented with something like a single space overlay with a colored background (like purple)?

Making this officially part of org-mode will probably make more people make use of it.

.. Or should people use zero width spaces?