Re: [O] Favorite way of syncing?

From: Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
Subject: Re: [O] Favorite way of syncing?
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 18:42:20 +0200

On Fri, 11-09-2015, at 15:59, Tobias Frischholz <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hey there!
>
> I was wondering what is your favorite way of syncing your org files and
> everything.  I’ve checked out unison, but I want more of an automated
> system that synchronizes my two clients via an SSH server.

I use syncthing (https://syncthing.net/) which, admittedly, does not
require a server nor uses SSH :-). I keep four computers in sync this way,
and also use it to send/receive the org files (with MobileOrg) to/from
android devices. It is as automatic as I can think of. Once set up, I have
to do nothing and it just works.

If you are familiar with BTsync you can think of syncthing as somewhat
similar (but much better, and free software).

It is possible to enable a rudimentary form of version control with
syncthing itself, but I don't (the files change too often). Instead, one of
the computers (which should always be on) is also running Seafile
(https://www.seafile.com/en/home/), which actually I think uses git as a
backend, so I can recover disasters.

Syncthing provides conflict detection. It is not git, but it is enough for
me with org files (I rarely edit in two or machines at the same time, and
the last machine where I make a change is often connected before I work on
another so I do not often have a chance for conflict).

[In the past, I used dropbox ---instead of syncthing, though syncthing is
not exactly a one-to-one replacement---, and nightly cron jobs that
committed the org directory in one of the machines to a bzr repo ---instead
of the seafile part--- for disaster recovery.]

> So far, I’ve also read that people use TRAMP in conjunction with an SSH
> Server (and work exclusively on this SSH server).
> I’ve also read about org-sync and magit (git is an option for me).
> And now I’m starting the get confused.

I use magit and git for version control but I do not find formal version
control very useful with my org files. I like to be able to finish
something, stop the timer on the laptop, and a second later put it to
hibernate and leave my house/office, without the need for a commit and
push, and knowing that all of that has been synced to all the other
machines that are on and connected. I know, though, that other people feel
differently.

Best,

R.

--