Re: [O] two sets of default header arguments for one language

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] two sets of default header arguments for one language
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 18:27:12 +0200

Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> writes:

> That's a pity.
>
> It would be really great if one could define different sets of
> hearer-args and then, at thr beginning of a code block, simply use:
>
> #+MACRO: forTangle  :tangle ./test.R :export none
> #+MACRO: forExecution  :tangle no :export both :session Test14
> #+MACRO: forNoSession  :tangle no :export both

It might be great. Probably hackish too.

Anyway simplicity of macros is one of its features, IMO. They are
limited, yet useful for simple things.

Fortunately, there are other ways to achieve what you want without them.

> Would it be difficult to include this feature?

Probably not. The most permissive model for macros is even simpler to
implement than the current one, i.e., something like

  (replace-regexp-in-string macro-regexp macro-template buffer)

However macros actually follow a different paradigm, in which they are
required to be parsed. As a consequence they cannot really break the
structure of their container, which turns them into "safe" tools. For
example, you can compare the model above and the current one in the
following document

  A paragraph Paragraph{{{this(arg
  #+name: table
  | cell | )}}}  |

Your proposal in to allow them where the parser doesn't look, e.g.,
Babel header arguments, but probably also other places (node properties,
keywords...). It is difficult to draw a line. In any case, I'm not sure
macros would benefit from it. Babel can already do a lot of
destructuring in a document, not every tool needs to be as versatile as
Babel.

Regards,