Re: [O] Merge branch 'maint'

From: Oleh Krehel
Subject: Re: [O] Merge branch 'maint'
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 18:15:10 +0200

Stefan Nobis <address@hidden> writes:

> Oleh Krehel <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Would it be so hard for Git to perform a single merge of master into
>> maint on release, while keeping them separate and cherry-picking
>> in-between for the sake of a clean linear history?
>
> The question is not whether git is capable of doing this (there are
> ways to accomplish this goal). The true question is: Do you really
> want a linear history?

Of course I do: it's prettier. My problem is that I don't see the
advantages that the other approach brings, I only see that it takes away
the prettiness.

> A linear history may look pretty, but at the same time you loose
> information. In a big complex project that is also a dependency to
> another complex project, a bit more ugly bookeeping may make
> maintenance easier.

Org's git history doesn't look complex at all: the commits are pretty
much synchronous and applied to master and maint at the same time.
Basically, Org's history is already linear, it's just hard to see it
behind the ugly bookkeeping.

    Oleh