Re: [O] emacs & org mode for scholars questions

From: Christian Wittern
Subject: Re: [O] emacs & org mode for scholars questions
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 15:44:03 +0900

On 2015-09-02 19:40, John Kitchin wrote:
> Cool! Thanks for the shout out to org-ref!
>
> my jmax starter package (http://github.com/jkitchin/jmax) is basically
> designed for the last point you described. I use it with students (41
> this semester!) as a standalone "package". It isn't as polished as
> prelude or others, but it allows them to do things like I do out of the
> box.

Great slides and a great activity.  I totally agree that we need to teach
our students to use real tools they can use sustainably throughout their
career.

I am developing a package and a bundle for people in Chinese Studies and
neighbouring fields.  This needs a slightly different set of packages and
settings so I don't think a one-size-fits-all approach would be productive
here, neither on the Emacs level, nor on the level of something like jmax.
I think being able to have something like

$> pip --freeze > requirements   and
$> pip install -r <requirements

might provide both a flexible and extensible way to maintain meta packages.
Or is there already a better way in the Emacs universe?

All the best,

Christian

--
Christian Wittern, Kyoto