Re: [O] emacs & org mode for scholars questions

From: Erik Hetzner
Subject: Re: [O] emacs & org mode for scholars questions
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 19:10:55 -0700

Hi Rasmus,

On Wed, 02 Sep 2015 04:00:50 -0700,
Rasmus <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks, I really enjoyed them.  One technical question.  Why do the flow
> of the slides sometimes change from L→R to T→B?  It's quite confusing and
> makes it hard to go back and forth between slides (IMO of course).  None
> of your slides seem optional.

What Jorge said. I’m not a huge fan but I didn’t bother to fix it.
Since I used org-reveal it looks easily fixed, see:

  https://github.com/yjwen/org-reveal#the-hlevel

> If find whom you choose to mention by name in the Org part particular.
> E.g. add-on authors are named, the original author isn't mentioned, but
> his profession is, ob is mentioned, but the main author isn't mentioned...

That’s a good point, thanks! I’ll update the slides to include authors
of all packages mentioned.

> > Latex v. plain text
> > [...]
> > But the [ox] toolchains can be fragile [...]
>
> {{citation needed}}

I was thinking in particular of the org -> pandoc toolchain. I agree
that org export is pretty rock-solid.

> > One thing that I came out of the conference thinking was that a
> > curated meta-package for Emacs (like elpy) that brought together tools
> > for scholarly writers (in LaTeX and markdown and org-mode) might be a
> > great help for Emacs beginners.
>
> IMO, we should aim to DISTRIBUTE the needed packages *within* Emacs and
> have SANE defaults.  Even with package.el, maintaining software on a
> computer that you do not have full access to, can be a pain.  The value of
> "batteries included" cannot be emphasized enough!  Instead of adding
> another project to github, it would be better to fix it in Emacs.
>
> EmacsW32 is great in this regard 'cause it's a just a zip, which you can
> use even on constrained systems.  I still have to install AUCTEX and ESS
> "manually", but at least package.el can handle compressed archives.

I think that getting a lot of packages into Emacs and changing the
defaults is a much bigger project, that I wouldn’t be able to help out
with.

best, Erik
--
Sent from my free software system <http://fsf.org/>.