Re: [O] [bug] org-open-file: ignores browse-url settings

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [bug] org-open-file: ignores browse-url settings
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2015 17:32:50 +0200

Hello,

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> From Emacs-devel:
>
>      From: address@hidden
>      Subject: org-open-file: ignores browse-url settings
>      Date: the 21st of August 2015 at 20:07
>
>      Function org-open-file uses customization variable org-file-apps to
>      decide how to open a file.
>      Unfortunately it's also making it difficult / impossible to set it up
>      so that  org files exported to HTML open in Emacs using EWW ---

  (add-to-list 'org-file-apps '("\\.x?html?\\'" . (eww-open-file file)))

should do the trick.

>      -specifically: the customization interface for org-file-apps claims to
>      let you provide a custom lisp form which in principle should let one
>      specify browse-url -- (admittedly convoluted ) but even that fails to
>      work -- mostly because the documentation is somewhat light with
>      respect to showing how one gets ones hands on the matched link.

We can improve documentation.

> My personal opinion would be to get rid of org-file-apps.  Opening files
> correctly is the job of either Emacs or the OS.

I'm not sure about it.

Org can divert from Emacs when it comes to what to do with files. You
may want to view it from Org but edit it from Emacs. The OS doesn't know
about Lisp.

Note that you can force `org-open-file' to open it with Emacs,
effectively ignoring `org-file-apps' altogether.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou