Re: [O] [bug] org-cycle changed behavior in orgstruct-mode

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] [bug] org-cycle changed behavior in orgstruct-mode
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 09:53:32 +0200

Hi,

>> But are the slowdowns associated with outline.el functions anything that
>> will realistically be felt in normal usage?
>
> They are noticeable under certain circumstances. I implemented
> `org-show-children' because `show-children' was /reported/ as slow.

OK.

> Generally speaking, outline doesn't cope well with dense sub-trees. As
> an example, consider `org-forward-heading-same-level'. Using outline, we
> need to move to next headline, check its level, compare with original,
> rinse and repeat, possibly many times, until we find a match. However,
> we could simply do
>
>   (re-search-forward some-appropriate-regexp nil t)
>
> and be done with it since we can turn level into a regexp.

Indeed.  That seems like a better implementation in any case.

>> IMO the biggest advantage of orgstruct is that it has more sensible
>> keybindings than outline.  Of course it's also nice with lists and tables
>> (assuming they are not in orgstruct++; don't remember)...
>
> Table is orgtbl-mode, not orgstruct-mode.
>
> List handling is a real concern however, because we cannot use the
> parser (there is no context to know about) but still have to analyze
> lists.

In an ideal world it should also "ignore" comment-start in the sense that
I it should help me with lists after, e.g. ";;".  I wonder if any of
Thorsten's packages on this already solved this issue.

>> Adding advice to orgstruct, which is a mess anyway, won't make it any
>> worse than it is...
>
> Agreed.

OK, so I'll experiment with an "old advice" around orgstruct.

BTW: We have 20 defadvice in lisp/.  That seems like enough reason (to me)
to bump Org 9 to 24.4.

Rasmus

--
And when I’m finished thinking, I have to die a lot