[O] exporting multiple choice questions to Aiken or GIFT formats?

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: [O] exporting multiple choice questions to Aiken or GIFT formats?
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 15:44:46 +0100

Hi,

just on the off chance that somebody has done this already, is there an
export engine for creating Aiken or GIFT format exam questions?

I assume not, so my next question is where to start?  I want to take
something like this:

#+begin_src org
  ,* What is my name?
  :PROPERTIES:
  :answer:   3
  :END:
  1. Joe
  2. Martha
  3. Eric
  4. Fido
#+end_src

and generate (assuming Aiken format):

#+begin_example
What is my name?
A. Joe
B. Martha
C. Eric
D. Fido
ANSWER: C
#+end_example

I can probably do this quite easily with awk (my language of choice fo
text manipulation generally) but it would quite nice to be able to
export directly from org.

The second step would be to be able to select a random number of
questions to export from a larger question bank.  Suggestions for how to
do this also welcome!

By the way, I am not wedded to the format shown in the org example but
the output does have to match what is shown (upper case letters, upper
case ANSWER immediately following).

thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.2, Org release_8.3.1-176-g45abec