Re: [O] Inline Images Export Bug

From: Pip Cet
Subject: Re: [O] Inline Images Export Bug
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 22:40:29 +0000

Okay, I just checked (sorry, had to regenerate the files and that took some time), and with the current version of Firefox the code I pasted is unnecessary.

The problem I had with previous Firefox versions is that those decided on a scale for displaying the SVG that differed from its preferred resolution, but only if an object tag was used for inclusion; img tags would use the preferred resolution and everything was fine.

The reason for the pt-to-px arithmetic is that graphviz outputs (or used to) SVGs with a preferred size specified in pt only, not in px. I'm not sure, but I think HTML pt and SVG pt don't necessarily agree.

Org mode is generating this tag:

<object type="image/svg+xml" data="" >
Sorry, your browser does not support SVG.</object>

Which looks okay to me. It's browser support that's the issue.

> The problems with the second bit of exported code is that it doesn't scale the image to fit the block with 50% width (only a small part of the image is visible)

Is it possible you're using an old browser? I'm on Iceweasel (Firefox) 38.1.0. (The bug was there a year or two ago, so by my standards it's a recent fix that we shouldn't rely on yet.)

> and you when you right click on the image, you can't view it, save it or anything.

Again, I can, using the "This Frame" popup menu.

But clearly that menu name is misleading and confusing in this case! And I think that is reason enough to stick with the img tag for now: Firefox users can't save the image unless they telepathically know that "frame" means "image". "This Object" might be okay, I guess.

My suggestion is to use img for images; that also appears to be the consensus on Stack Overflow. Let's find a good syntax for including interactive objects in Org mode, though.

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 9:56 PM, Rasmus <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

Pip Cet <address@hidden> writes:

>     let found = false;
>     for (let el of svgdoc.getElementsByTagName("svg")) {
>         let width = el.getAttribute("width");
>         let height = el.getAttribute("height");
>
>         let width_pt = width.match(/^([0-9]*)pt$/)[1];
>         let height_pt = height.match(/^([0-9]*)pt$/)[1];
>
>         let width_px = 5/4 * width_pt;
>         let height_px = 5/4 * height_pt;
>
>         object.setAttribute("width", width_px + "px");
>         object.setAttribute("height", height_px + "px");
>         found = true;

So are you saying that Org is changing the size from px to pt?  Can you
try to explain the problem you observe in words?

Thanks,
Rasmus

--
The second rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club