Re: [O] emacs & org mode for scholars questions

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] emacs & org mode for scholars questions
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 09:04:43 -0400

Eric S Fraga writes:

> On Wednesday, 26 Aug 2015 at 06:39, John Kitchin wrote:
>> Interesting. I could see some interesting extensions to it. I use
>> button-lock to alert me to interesting (to me) text in my buffers a lot,
>> which is a little less intrusive. For example, any names in my
>
> Interesting!  Indeed it would be interesting to tie these two concepts
> together, sort of an automatic hyper-text facility with multiple
> out-going links...

That is exactly what my code does, sometimes even with context-specific
links, e.g. if a contact has a URL property, you get an open url
action.

>> When you say trawled, is this with some indexing tool, or something you
>> wrote?
>
> The remembrance-agent package in Debian includes the tools for trawling
> through text files and creating the databases (ra-index) the emacs tool
> requires (using ra-retrieve).

I see. one day I will think about doing something like this with the
swish-e index (or recoll, etc...) work I did this past summer. Document
similarity has been on my mind, beyond just keywords (which I am not
good at using consistently) for a few applications. Mostly similar
bibtex entries I already have, similar entries in an RSS feed, etc...

> I run the index operation using crontab weekly.  Weekly is sufficient
> for my needs as the content is not that dynamic and it is the old
> content that I need help remembering ;-)

Agreed!

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F