Re: [O] Literate programming in org

From: Ken Mankoff
Subject: Re: [O] Literate programming in org
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 08:21:55 -0400

Hi Max,

This is one bit of literate programming I haven't mastered myself yet. I
generally have code blocks and print results, and then manually re-enter them
in the paragraph below. I would like what you are looking for. The best
solution I have, which I don't use often, is to use sessions and inline code.

On 2015-08-26 at 04:35, Max Linke <address@hidden> wrote:
> * How can I use computed variables (string/int/float) in floating text?
>
>    I have for example calculated a autocorrelation time and now want to
>    use that calculated number in the text. The best solution I have
>    found so far is
>
>    #+name: print_acf_time
>    #+begin_src ipython :session :exports none
>      print(acf_time)
>    #+end_src
>
>    The autocorrelation time for the process is call_print_acf_time().
>    That is OK-ish but I have to write a special code cell for every
>    variable that I want to reference in my document. Is there another
>    method to export variables to be easily accessible in org-mode?

For example, to insert the number three I could do the following, if a = 1 and
b = 2, defined previously in session "foo": src_octave[:session foo]{a+b}
{{{results(=3=)}}}

I've been thinking about other ways to achieve this... perhaps my code blocks
update a table. That table might be included in the text for the reader. Then
one code session reads it all in, so I have access to all results in one
session and can use them in the text...

  -k.