Re: [O] [DEV] Bump Emacs requirement to 24.4?

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [DEV] Bump Emacs requirement to 24.4?
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 11:28:28 +0200

Hello,

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> Debian Squeeze LTS or whatever they call it doesn't w/o backports.
> RHEL6 doesn't have it w/o epel (RHEL7 has 24.3 IIRC).
> RaspberryPi doesn't have it.

I don't think we have a lot of Org users on RaspberryPi.

> I'm still falling over Emacs 22 in various forms and Emacs 23, where it
> is standard is not always at the latest version (23.4).

So what? If you have to deal with Emacs 23, you can also live with Org
8.3. It is by no mean a sub-par release. It is also brand new.

> I've been doing a lot of this compat stuff, but I gave up since I
> couldn't get ERT to work on XEmacs.  Org did build (with lots of errors)
> until some point and it was at least superficially usable.  The two
> XEmacs users on this list have never responded to any requests for
> further testing.  So I guess that XEmacs can be considered
> unsupportable.

Unfortunately, this situation is not very good. We have compatibility
functions all over the place for zero benefit.

> If you were hoping to get rid of compat, then have a look at the warnings
> on Emacs 25.

I can only handle one fight at a time.

Regards,

--