Re: [O] [DEV] Bump Emacs requirement to 24.4?

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] [DEV] Bump Emacs requirement to 24.4?
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 10:30:32 +0200

Bastien Guerry <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Nicolas,
>
> Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Master branch is already 24.3+ (with compilation warnings, 24.4+ without
>> them): I committed "org-lint.el", moved some libraries to lexical
>> binding, etc.
>
> Yes, we should have waited for the decision to be taken for this.
>
>> Is there any reason to avoid requiring at least Emacs 24.3 in
>> development branch?
>
> I don't know, but we have only little information on what impact such
> a change will have.  Our best move for now is to ask on mailing lists,
> collect information, then decide.
>
> Also such a change needs to be advertized correctly, I'd rather have
> it for Org 9.0 -- same for dropping XEmacs compatibility.
>
> We don't need to complete the whole 8.x series and may jump to 9.0
> soonish, but for the time being, I suggest you create a 9.0 branch
> with the 24.3 requirement and changes that cannot go without it.
>
> WDYT?

But then what will master hold and what would be the point of it?  It
sounds like a way to rename "master" to "branch9.0"...

Also, Emacs 24.3 was released in March, 2013.  By the time the next Org is
released, it will be more than 3 years old.

Rasmus

--
This message is brought to you by the department of redundant departments