Re: [O] [gnorb] completion for `gnorb-gnus-incoming-do-todo'

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] [gnorb] completion for `gnorb-gnus-incoming-do-todo'
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 12:45:01 +0800

Thomas Holst <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> · Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>> thanks for the gnorb package! I started using it and I like it a lot!
>>>
>>> When I call `gnorb-gnus-incoming-do-todo' from gnus I'm prompted for a
>>> headline. But completion is not working. Neither <TAB> nor M-j does
>>> anything.
>>>
>>> How can I get completion working? Completion is working for org-refile.
>>>
>>> I have no settings customized. Only key bindings as suggested.
>>>
>>> Thank you for looking into this!
>>
>> Hi Thomas,
>>
>> Glad to hear you're liking Gnorb! Can you tell me a few things about
>> your setup?
>>
>> 1. What versions of the packages are you using? Org and Gnorb?
>
> I use most recent git versions:
>
> Org-mode version 8.3.1 (release_8.3.1-56-g046110 @
> /home/thommy/git-emacs/org-mode/lisp/)
>
> gnorb: most recent git version
>
>> 2. Are you using any special completion packages (ido, iswitchb,
>> helm)?
>
> I mostly use helm. But for refile I use following settings since I
> found helm not really working here:
>
> #+begin_src emacs_lisp
>   ;;
>   ;; settings fr org-refile
>   ;;
>   (setq org-refile-use-outline-path 'file)
>   (setq org-refile-targets
>         '((org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 3)
>           (org-agenda-text-search-extra-files . (:maxlevel . 3))
>           (nil :maxlevel . 5)))
>
>   ; Allow refile to create parent tasks with confirmation
>   (setq org-refile-allow-creating-parent-nodes (quote confirm))
> #+end_src
>
>> 3. Can you confirm that the prompt where you're seeing failure is
>>    "Trigger heading:"?
>
> I see: "Trigger heading (default Reparaturen):"
>>
>> I assume that putting point after this sexp and running "C-x C-e" gets
>> you a fully functional completion prompt, is that true?
>>
>> (org-refile-get-location "Trigger heading" nil t)
>
> Yes with helm interface. But again completion is not functional.
>
> Now when I press `g' at the begin of a headline I get:
>
> "Refile subtree "Erträge" to (default Reperaturen):"
>
> With regular (no helm) completion (<TAB> completes) working.

Sorry this is taking me a while...

I'm still trying to get exactly what's going on here -- you haven't been
able to use helm with org at all, so you set those refile values in
order to disable helm when refiling, but with gnorb it tries to go back
to using helm and fails, is that right?

Gnorb provides the option `gnorb-gnus-trigger-refile-targets', which is
basically exactly the same as `org-refile-targets', it just allows you
to adjust how/which headings are proposed as for the gnorb trigger
process. Maybe you can try setting that to the same value as your
current `org-refile-targets', and see if that helps?

Hmm, I should probably be doing that by default...

If I were you, though, I'd be looking more closely into why helm isn't
working with org! It's pretty useful... If you use helm with
`org-refile-get-location', do you not see any headings at all? Or you
see them but typing does nothing?

Eric