Re: [O] show number of sub headers in top level header (alternative to s

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [O] show number of sub headers in top level header (alternative to statistics cookie?)
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 17:15:28 -0500

Xebar Saram <address@hidden> writes:

> I was wondering if there was an option in org to show number of sub
> headers in top level header. i know there is statistics cookies but
> that's not automatic?

There are a few ways one could use statistic cookies to make this more
"automatic."

The first is to set:

(setq org-provide-todo-statistics 'all-headlines)

Also make sure that org-hierarchical-todo-statistics is set to t (the
default).

This will make sure that the statistics cookie counts all entries, not
just todo keywords, so the second number in a cookie [3/18] will be the
total number of subheadings.

Org-mode already automatically updates cookies when changing a todo. But
you could also update the cookies when changing a headline to ensure an
up-to-date count:

(add-hook 'org-insert-heading-hook 'org-update-parent-todo-statistics)

Hope this helps,
Matt