Re: [O] Stable releases

From: Scott Randby
Subject: Re: [O] Stable releases
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 15:06:54 -0400

On 08/12/2015 01:37 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
Scott Randby writes:
While I've used Org's development version in the past, I stopped doing
that due to my failure to learn how to use git (no time) and other
issues. Now, I only use the stable releases. But the latest 8.3
release doesn't seem so stable to me, so I'd like some clarification
about what the Org maintainers mean by a stable release. Perhaps this
is too vague, so let me explain a bit.

There are no stable releases, but major and minor ones (see
README_maintainer).  Major releases are developed in the master branch
and include backwards-incompatible changes as well as new and removed
features.  Minor releases are made from the maint branch and are kept
backwards compatible to the last major release (only bug fixes, no new
features, no feature removal).

If there are no stable releases, then maybe the web site should not say: "Stable version 8.3.1 (Aug. 2015)." Perhaps "stable" should just be eliminated from that phrase. Certainly, the use of "stable" confused me.

Scott