Re: [O] [OFF TOPIC] almost giving up on emacs email..looking for advice?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] [OFF TOPIC] almost giving up on emacs email..looking for advice?
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 21:36:03 +0800

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> It's not trivial when you live in China :)
>>
>> I can make it work, between alternate IP addresses and ssh tunnels, but
>> it involves a lot of cursing and grinding my teeth. In a hostile network
>> environment any client will face the same problems, but the lack of
>> threading becomes pretty apparent here.
>
> I don't know what the great firewall is like, but for "hostile networks"
> around here (universities blocking git, airports blocking smtp/imap etc),
> I use openvpn.  Are commercial openvpn provides blocked in China?

Both commercial providers, and non-commercial providers! I set up my own
OpenVPN server on a US server, and that worked for a couple of years.
Then they caught it, and I switched to a non-standard port. That worked
for another four months or so, and now it doesn't work on any port. I'm
sure OpenVPN traffic is pretty easily sniffable.

My next project is ipsec (another broken-leg project). But I figure, if
I can google up these solutions, so can they, and the packet signatures
of all these different systems must be quite identifiable.

Using vanilla ssh seems fairly reliable: for the time being, I don't
think they'd go so far as to block ssh across the board. That would
really be declaring war on the internet. So sshuttle, tunnels, and the
built-in ssh SOCKS proxy are serving me well. Using dnscrypt-proxy
actually solves many of the problems -- in years past, it would have
solved everything, but they've started hell-banning IP ranges, and of
course that includes gmail. My own dumb fault for using gmail, I guess.

How off-topic can we get? :)