Re: [O] [OFF TOPIC] almost giving up on emacs email..looking for advice?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] [OFF TOPIC] almost giving up on emacs email..looking for advice?
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 12:30:04 +0800

Peter Salazar <address@hidden> writes:

> Like Fabrice, I also still process my email using the Gmail web
> interface. The only reason I want email within Emacs is so I can
> compose replies in a proper editor with all my keybindings. I tried
> Chrome's Edit with Emacs, but it loses line breaks when it sends the
> output from Emacs back to Gmail. So I prefer to write replies within
> Emacs.
>
> Since I only need a small fraction of my emails to go through Emacs, I
> set up mbsync to pull only my starred messages:
>
> Channel gmail-starred
> Master :gmail-remote:"[Gmail]/Starred"
> Slave :gmail-local:starred
> Create Both
> Expunge Both
> SyncState *
>
> If this is of interest to you I can share my setup.

I agree that having email accessible locally is key to making Gnus
usable. All my email is synced to local dovecot server, and Gnus
accesses that -- no lag at all. Sending messages is still a big pain,
though. I send using msmtp, and there's an add-on called msmtp-queue
that would apparently allow Gnus to hand off messages instantly, but
I've never spent the time to get it set up. I sure wish IMAP could
handle both sending and receiving messages!