[O] Showing Property in headline; generating table from properties; expo

From: Matt Price
Subject: [O] Showing Property in headline; generating table from properties; exporting table to CSV
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 07:24:29 -0400

Hello eveyrone!

I know the big guns are all working on last-minute 8.3 bugs (thank you!).

I am hoping to get some guidance before heading off on vacation.  I have switched over to doing all grading for my courses in org.  My workflow:

- export a csv file containing student names.
- generate grading templates for each student, for each assignment
- email comments back to students
- enter marks in an official spreadsheet which can be used for final grade submission

A sample  "Comments.org" is at the bottom of this email (it was a little long).

So, here are my questions:

- I currently store my grades as properties of level-2 headlines. However, I would really like to be able to see the grades when the headline is folded, so I can have a quick visual sense of how many papers I've marked, how well the students are doing, and so forth.  THe best would be to be able to see the actual marks in the headlines; but if I could, say, adjust the color of the healdine based on the property value, that would be cool too.

- It seems silly to record the grades once in org, and then again in a libreoffice spreadsheet.  Better would be to generate a table and/or csv spreadsheet directly from the headlines and property values.  So, the example below would give the table:
| Student       | Definition | Darwin |
| Student One   |          0 |      0 |
| Student Two   |          0 |      0 |
| Student Three |          0 | 0      |

and from there I guess I could generate a CSV just with org-table-export.

Had anyone done either of these tasks before? Any guidance on how to do it?

Thanks as always,
Matt

* Definition
** TODO Student One
:PROPERTIES:
:GRADE:    0
:MAIL_TO:  address@hidden
:MAIL_CC:  address@hidden
:MAIL_REPLY: address@hidden
:MAIL_SUBJECT: Comments on Definition Assignment (Student One)
:END:
- Organization ::
- Clarity of Thesis ::
- Presentation of Evidence ::
- Grammar and Spelling ::
- Style ::
- Citations ::
- Further Comments ::
- Grade ::
** TODO Student Two
:PROPERTIES:
:GRADE:    0
:MAIL_TO:  address@hidden
:MAIL_CC:  address@hidden
:MAIL_REPLY: address@hidden
:MAIL_SUBJECT: Comments on Definition Assignment (Student Two)
:END:
- Organization ::
- Clarity of Thesis ::
- Presentation of Evidence ::
- Grammar and Spelling ::
- Style ::
- Citations ::
- Further Comments ::
- Grade ::
** TODO Student Three
:PROPERTIES:
:GRADE:    0
:MAIL_TO:  address@hidden
:MAIL_CC:  address@hidden
:MAIL_REPLY: address@hidden
:MAIL_SUBJECT: Comments on Definition Assignment (Student Three)
:END:
- Organization ::
- Clarity of Thesis ::
- Presentation of Evidence ::
- Grammar and Spelling ::
- Style ::
- Citations ::
- Further Comments ::
- Grade ::

* Darwin
** TODO Student One
:PROPERTIES:
:GRADE:    0
:MAIL_TO:  address@hidden
:MAIL_CC:  address@hidden
:MAIL_REPLY: address@hidden
:MAIL_SUBJECT: Comments on Darwin Assignment (Student One)
:END:
- Organization ::
- Clarity of Thesis ::
- Presentation of Evidence ::
- Grammar and Spelling ::
- Style ::
- Citations ::
- Further Comments ::
- Grade ::
** TODO Student Two
:PROPERTIES:
:GRADE:    0
:MAIL_TO:  address@hidden
:MAIL_CC:  address@hidden
:MAIL_REPLY: address@hidden
:MAIL_SUBJECT: Comments on Darwin Assignment (Student Two)
:END:
- Organization ::
- Clarity of Thesis ::
- Presentation of Evidence ::
- Grammar and Spelling ::
- Style ::
- Citations ::
- Further Comments ::
- Grade ::
** TODO Student Three
:PROPERTIES:
:GRADE:    0
:MAIL_TO:  address@hidden
:MAIL_CC:  address@hidden
:MAIL_REPLY: address@hidden
:MAIL_SUBJECT: Comments on Darwin Assignment (Student Three)
:END:
- Organization ::
- Clarity of Thesis ::
- Presentation of Evidence ::