Re: [O] Trouble with autofill mode

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] Trouble with autofill mode
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 15:08:14 +0100

On Tuesday,  4 Aug 2015 at 09:52, Vikas Rawal wrote:

[...]

> Yes, I have been thinking about this too. visual-line-mode with each
> sentence in a separate line would have many other advantages too. It
> would perhaps be better for git-like version control of documents
> written in orgmode. Isn’t it?
>
> Do others have an experience to share about this?

For org documents, I switched to visual-line-mode and org-indent mode a
while back now after *years* using auto-fill.  Visual-line-mode without
org-indent is less æsthetically pleasing, I find.

I typically have one paragraph per line and this works well.  It may be
less efficient with respect to revision control, e.g. git, but the
efficiency loss is minimal in my opinion.

For LaTeX directives that I used to always put in #+latex: lines when I
needed these within a paragraph, I now increasingly use @@latex:...@@.

The only issue is working with wide tables.  For this, I do have a key
binding to toggle visual-line-mode on and off to make it easier to work
with tables.  It would be nice if somehow org knew not to allow
visual-line-mode to wrap tables but I would imagine this would be
difficult if not impossible.

For emails, I continue to use auto-fill-mode however.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.2, Org release_8.3beta-1315-ga3b2b7