Re: [O] How to make a non-GPL Org-mode exporter?

From: Oleh Krehel
Subject: Re: [O] How to make a non-GPL Org-mode exporter?
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 09:55:09 +0200

Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> writes:

>> As Oleh Krehel pointed out in a reply to another mail of yours, if your
>> code links to org-mode code (or other GPL code) you cannot release it
>> under a different license. I'm not sure about how linking is intended in
>> Elisp sense of ('require)ing a library, but I believe it is analog to
>> executable linking in machine code programs.
>
> I understand, and I thank you for your clarification.  (Though I still
> consider it plain ridiculous.  And the fact that Oleh's own blog is
> CC-BY-NC-SA licensed, and contains many fragments of Elisp code, both
> small snippets and whole functions, thus rendering it illegal, is
> sweet;-).)

I think posting snippets on a blog falls into "Fair Use". As long as I'm
not posting something which is a full program, this is fine.  Besides,
CC-BY-NC-SA is compatible with GPL! Compatible. With GPL.

Quoting the SA (ShareAlike) part from the website:

> ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you
> must distribute your contributions under the same license as the
> original.

So if anyone dislikes GPL, add CC-...-SA to your list as well.

--Oleh