Re: [O] Time-zone in dates

From: Don Armstrong
Subject: Re: [O] Time-zone in dates
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 10:59:54 -0500

On Tue, 07 Jul 2015, Russell Adams wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 01, 2015 at 12:22:43PM +0100, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> > I particularly like the single event (a flight) that requires more than
> > one time zone to make sense.  My diary is chock full of cases where it
> > looks like a flight out somewhere takes 2 hours but coming back takes
> > 11!  (strong winds ;-)
>
> I believe this doesn't disprove the need for storing in UTC.
[...]
> After all there's no data lost in the plane example other than the
> relative timezone of the observer.

The relative timezone of the observer is important, though, because
that's how you enter the information, and it's often the most logical
way to display the information. If you just store UTC there's no way to
regenerate that.

Though all of that said, just storing UTC is significantly easier, and
while I'd love to see a complete implementation, an incomplete
implementation which could be expanded to become complete would be a
great advance.

This can't be happening to me. I've got tenure.
 -- James Hynes _Publish and Perish_