Re: [O] ox-latex: default packages cleaning

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] ox-latex: default packages cleaning
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2015 22:05:06 +0200

Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> writes:

> I would like to second microtype.  In fact as far as I know, now a days
> it is recommended to load that for almost all documents with significant
> text on TeX.SX.

It's easy enough to add and we should keep the default minimal.  Though
microtype is certainly a package I would not mind imposing on people.

> I would also suggest removing inputenc.  At the moment, it is loaded
> with the AUTO option.  AFAIK, this is redundant since most recent
> (meaning for quite a few years) TeX engines already use the encoding of
> the file if nothing is specified.

I think you might be right, but I haven't looked into it.

> The next one would be fontenc, now it is loaded with T1.  I'm not sure
> if this is needed.  Maybe LaTeX experts like Marcin or Fabrice could
> comment.

I thought it was needed for some symbols, but it seems it might not be.

>> * marvosym¹
>> * Wasysym²
>
> Agreed.  On top of this, wasysym also interferes with integral symbols
> from amsmath[1].

No, the manual notes it has comparability with amsmath build it.  It
installs them under \varint and friends.

> We could also take this opportunity to provide users an easy way to
> switch between TeX engines.

It's already pretty easy.  I bind org-latex-pdf-process to the desired
engine via latexmk in my file.  I also wrap fontenc and inputenc in
\ifpdftex\else\fi or whatever.  In any case, betterᵀᴹ support for xelatex
would be nice.

>   \usepackage{polyglossia}  % instead of babel

You can use babel with xelatex.

Rasmus

--
A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it