Re: [O] [patch, ox-latex] caption and :float nil

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] [patch, ox-latex] caption and :float nil
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 17:05:19 +0200

Hi,

Aaron Ecay <address@hidden> writes:

> AFAICS you sent the original message only to me.  I’m replying also to
> the org mode list.  You may want to resend the patch attachment though,
> since the quoting in this reply will probably mangle it.

  http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/98791

??

> 2015ko uztailak 1an, Rasmus-ek idatzi zuen:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Attached is a patch that works reasonably well to allow :float nil
>> "floats" to have captions in ox-latex.
>>
>> The hard part is src-blocks.
>>
>> At the moment we sometimes allow captions to register as figures (at least
>> when when using verbatim).  Instead we could go with "listing".  Of course
>> listing is not a known environment to LaTeX.  We can add register it with
>> newfloat in default-packages, or we can mention in the manual the lines
>> that needs to be added to org-latex-packages if desired:
>>
>>      \usepackage{newfloat}
>>      \DeclareFloatingEnvironment{listing}
>>

> I think this should depend on the value of org-latex-listings:
> nil -> use \captionof{float}

You mean figure.  But a source block in not a float.

> t -> use \captionof{listing}
> minted -> use \captionof{listing} (see below for why)

>> We could also unconditionally use captionof in case of verbatim output for
>> src blocks, even if float is required, which would allow us to kill
>> float.sty from default package alist.
>>
>> BTW: In the current code we uses \captionof{listing}{caption} with minted.
>> This seems incompatible.
>
> Minted uses listing as itsf floating environment; see sec. 5 of the
> minted manual.  So this seems correct in fact.

Consider this minimal example

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{minted}
\usepackage{capt-of}
\begin{document}
\begin{minted}{lisp}
(+ 1 1 )
\end{minted}
\captionof{listing}{test}
\end{document}

This is the error I get when compiling:

ERROR: Undefined control sequence.

--- TeX said ---
address@hidden ... address@hidden \normalsize address@hidden@capt
                                                  address@hidden address@hidden
l.8 \captionof{listing}{test}

It works fine when I use another counter than listing.

>> But I have not really used minted so I don't know if I did the
>> test correctly.  minted has a [H] placement through it's listings
>> environment, it seems, so I don't think we need captionof there.
>
> I’m not sure that minted provides this separately from the float
> package.  So it’s probably better to use \captionof in the minted case
> as well.  Certainly it will make things more consistent from org’s POV.

I guess it doesn't.  In any, minted.sty has

  \RequirePackage{float}

So we can be sure [H] is available.  Thus, we should just rely on float.

Rasmus

--
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi che leggete questo.