[O] using a table from one org-file as a variable in a code block in ano

From: John Kitchin
Subject: [O] using a table from one org-file as a variable in a code block in another org-file
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 11:47:13 -0500

Hi everyone,

I have been using tables as variables for codeblocks on an org-file, e.g.
#+tblname: class-data
| user      | oxide | xc |
| jkitchin  | TiO2  | LDA|

#+BEGIN_SRC python :var data=class-data
from pylab import *
import numpy as np

vol = [x[1]  if x[1] != '' else np.nan for x in data]
B = [x[2] if x[2] != '' else np.nan for x in data  ]

scatter(vol, B)
xlabel('Volume ($\AA^3$)')
ylabel('Bulk modulus (GPa)')
title('All polymorphs of all oxides for all functionals')
show()
#+END_SRC

This is a fantastic feature, since I can have some code that is
expensive to run create the table, but then have analysis code that is
quick, since it only reads the table.

But, sometimes the tables are defined in other org-files.  Is there a
way to specify a table from another org-file in the variable header?

Something like this would be pretty handy:

:var ./org-file.org::class-data

Especially if I could click on it, and have it open the other org-file
with point at the table!

Any thoughts? Thanks,

John

John Kitchin