Re: [O] org-link and gnus-registry

From: Sven Bretfeld
Subject: Re: [O] org-link and gnus-registry
Date: 24 Nov 2012 20:19:19 +0100

Hi Alan

Thanks for your answer.

Alan Schmitt <address@hidden> writes:

> "Sven Bretfeld" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> As was discussed before in this list, gnus-register is the way to do
>> this. Otherwise org-link will not find the message after it has gone to
>> another group.
>>
>> This is not working for me. It might have to do with how org-store-links
>> creates the link. For me the links look like this:
>>
>> [[gnus:address@hidden from
>> Yongbin: Re: Visit]]
>>
>> "Stuff" is the name of my INBOX. This means the message-ID contains the
>> name of the original group. If the message is moved to another group, it
>> won't be found. It seems that either org-store-link or org-follow-link
>> does not respect gnus-registry.
>>
>> I cannot find the mistake. Can somebody help me?
>
> I'm having very mixed results with gnus-registry, and I'm still looking
> for a better solution. In the meantime:
> - make sure the message is moved from inside gnus, it seems it's
> required to be tracked by the registry;

Yes, that's given. I don't use any other client.

> - if you cannot get to the message, try to search for it (I use notmuch,
> which works nicely), figure out the mailbox name, and you can then
> manually fix the link by changing the mailbox name there. I use stable
> mailboxes for this: archive is for the current month, otherwise the
> message is in "old/year/month". Searches and links let me get to
> messages really easily.

Hmm. This would annihilate the effect, right? It is like not using
gnus-registry at all and just change all links manually. I still have
the feeling that gnus-registry doesn't work at all for me. The cache
file is there (~/Mail/.gnus-registry.eld) and it updates regularly. Only
the org-links don't seem to care about message-IDs.

Sven

--
Prof. Dr. Sven Bretfeld
      \ CEntrum für