Re: [O] "Generic" Source block language specification?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] "Generic" Source block language specification?
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 12:35:52 -0500

Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 23/11/12 16:02, Eric Schulte wrote:
> > Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> writes:

> >> Yes, it does - works perfectly. Is this documented?
> >>

> > Yes.  Whatever language string is placed at the top of the source block
> > will define the mode
> > used for export and in-block editing.  I believe that is documented.
>
> OK - then I thought that I can use all languages *for formating* which are
> defined in the listings
> package in LaTeX, but it doesn't matter what I take: it always formats it in
> as a source block but
> obviously without syntax highlighting.
>
> For editing: C-c ' only works ehen using "fundamental" - other non-existent
> languages are not
> accepted (obviously).
>
> So I assume in org, there is support for "fundamental", but I could not find
> it in the
> documentation when I looked.
>
> At the moment, my org info documentation seems to be not accessible (blank
> page when opening it).

In order for this to work, emacs has to have a mode to handle it:
"fundamental" as a language works, because emacs has a mode called
fundamental-mode.

I append the relevant portion of the documentation (section 14.2,
Editing source code) I hope it comes in useful until you get your info
problems resolved, but note that it's also available online at

   http://orgmode.org/org.html#Editing-source-code

See org-src-lang-modes below for the details:

,----

| 14.2 Editing source code
| ========================
|
| Use `C-c '' to edit the current code block.  This brings up a language
| major-mode edit buffer containing the body of the code block.  Saving
| this buffer will write the new contents back to the Org buffer.  Use
| `C-c '' again to exit.
|
|    The `org-src-mode' minor mode will be active in the edit buffer.  The
| following variables can be used to configure the behavior of the edit
| buffer.  See also the customization group `org-edit-structure' for
| further configuration options.
|
| `org-src-lang-modes'
|      If an Emacs major-mode named `<lang>-mode' exists, where `<lang>'
|      is the language named in the header line of the code block, then
|      the edit buffer will be placed in that major-mode.  This variable
|      can be used to map arbitrary language names to existing major
|      modes.
|
| `org-src-window-setup'
|      Controls the way Emacs windows are rearranged when the edit buffer
|      is created.
|
| `org-src-preserve-indentation'
|      This variable is especially useful for tangling languages such as
|      Python, in which whitespace indentation in the output is critical.
|
| `org-src-ask-before-returning-to-edit-buffer'
|      By default, Org will ask before returning to an open edit buffer.
|      Set this variable to nil to switch without asking.
|
|    To turn on native code fontification in the _Org_ buffer, configure
| the variable `org-src-fontify-natively'.

`----

HTH,
Nick