Re: [O] [org-e-latex] Coding System

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] [org-e-latex] Coding System
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 07:34:37 +0100

Thomas S. Dye writes:
> I don't follow the details of this discussion, but I wonder how
> important AUTO really is?

I'm afraid I can't follow you…

AFAIK, specifying "AUTO" in the LaTeX header is supposed to be replaced
by whatever the coding system of the LaTeX buffer happens to be when it
gets saved.  (I've never used it, so it might work differently.)

> It seems to me that a sweet setup uses utf-8 in the buffer but exports
> latin-1 to LaTeX through use of entities and filters (with the new
> exporter).  This can yield a buffer display that isn't complicated by
> all the LaTeX machinery, and export something that is maximally
> compatible in the LaTeX world.  It is nice on the eyes and avoids
> encoding incompatibilities on the back-end.

That is not what I was talking about, however useful it might be.  I
have already defined the input encoding "utf8" in my LaTeX header and
want to ensure that the buffer gets saved in that format.  As an
extension, if I specify any other encoding for LaTeX, the buffer should
be saved in a matching encoding, independently of the encoding that the
org buffer had.  If that's a "downgrade", i.e. not all characters are
encodable in that new system, then what you describe above might become
necessary.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld: