Re: [O] automating incrementing of date stamps

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [O] automating incrementing of date stamps
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 07:27:27 +0100

Hi Jude

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 12:10 AM, Jude DaShiell <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2012, Michael Brand wrote:

> if S-<ret> means hold the shift key down then hit return,

Yes.

> in emacs
> org-mode 7.9.2 this key combination did not increment the date stamp.

What tells “C-h c S-<RET>” in that place? Also check the manual
section “3.1 The built-in table editor” about S-<RET> saying “This key
is also used by shift-selection and related modes (see Conflicts).” or
try emacs -Q.

> When I keyed in the date stamp, I did it by hand keying in all of the
> required characters myself since a couple of the dates are already in the
> past.  Could that have prevented proper date incrementing?

No, it doesn’t matter if you only type. But the powerful “C-c . [...]
RET” can be used also for dates in the past, replace “[...]” with
“12-9-8”, use shift with arrows, etc.

> Could I get
> around this block by entering the first date stamp as <today -2d> and then
> trying shift-return from there on out to get the other needed dates in the
> log?

Such relative dates are not supported in tables but you can use
“C-c . -2 RET” etc.

Michael