Re: [O] Bug? R: Org babel block execution *drastically* slower than in E

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Bug? R: Org babel block execution *drastically* slower than in ESS session directly
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 12:18:55 -0500

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 11:41 AM, <address@hidden> wrote:
John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:

> I edited the subject to be more concise/clear.I let orgmode chug away
> on reading in some ~10-30mb csv files for nearly 30min.

[rest deleted]

You need an ECM.

I did my best to provide one, other than the file, which I offered to provide if others requested that I upload it somewhere. Since you have done so, so have I:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzQupOSnvw08WHdabHh5VVczRGM

Let me know if that doesn't work. I put it on Google docs and sometimes have issues with the sharing settings...

You will find the rest needed for a complete ECM of my setup in the original email:
- minimal config I used with `emacs -Q --load=file`
- org file with minimal babel R block

Let me know if you can reproduce with the linked file. I'm open to suggestions on how to bisect a file, though it's a column of strings and several columns of numbers, I'm not exactly sure what to look for.

Best regards,
John

I cannot reproduce your issue.

This runs in the same amount of time, whether I execute the src block or
run the code from ESS:

#+begin_src R :session
write.csv(diag(10)[rep(1:10,100000),],file="abc.csv")
#+end_src

#+begin_src R :session :results output
  system.time(read.csv("abc.csv"))
#+end_src

abc.csv is >25MB

If the behavior you describe only happens with some files, I suggest you
try to bisect them to find the issue.

HTH,

Chuck