Re: [O] Bib file path relative to home using tilde ~ in Ubuntu

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] Bib file path relative to home using tilde ~ in Ubuntu
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 05:49:36 -1000

Vladimir Lomov <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
> ** Sanjib Sikder [2012-10-14 11:53:52 +0530]:
>
>> Hi,
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>>> First of all can you confirm your .bashrc setting is working.?
>
>>> in the terminal
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>>> echo $BIBINPUTS

>> *Here is the output*
>
>> ~$ echo $BIBINPUTS
>> .//:/home/USERNAME/bst//:.//:/home/USERNAME/bibFiles//:
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>>> and also can you check what is the value of BIBINPUTS in emacs.? Within
>>> Emacs
>>> evaluate the following (either in scratch buffer or with key press `M-:' or
>>> with `M-x eval-expression')
>
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>>> (getenv "BIBINPUTS")
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>

>> *OUTPUT* is: nil
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>>> May be the last resort would be setting the variable within your .emacs
>
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>>> (setenv "BIBINPUTS" ".:$HOME/bib:")
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>

>> I will try this one
>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>> BTW how you are starting emacs? (command line or gui mouse click?)
>

>> I am starting emacs from GUI mouse click. All the above tests are done only
>> with the .bashrc, i.e., after  removing the lines from .profile and .gnomerc
>
> You use incorrert path for bibtex files, use
> $HOME/texmf/bibtex/bib
> this is the standard.

I don't know which TeX distribution Ubuntu uses.  If it is one of the
distributions with kpathsea, then "kpsepath bib" should list standard
paths that will be searched for bibtex files.  My system shows nine
locations, including three under my home directory.  These locations
work regardless of how emacs is started (from a shell or the gui).

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye