Re: [O] BIBINPUT in .bashrc not recognized by Emacs

From: Myles English
Subject: Re: [O] BIBINPUT in .bashrc not recognized by Emacs
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 21:38:01 +0100

Hi Sanjib,

Sanjib Sikder writes:

> Hi,
>
> I was trying to set a location for my bibliography files which can be found
> by org mode. The following lines in .bashrc does not work with orgmode
> latex export
>
> export TEXINPUTS=".//:$HOME/bibFiles//:$TEXINPUTS"
> export BSTINPUTS=".//:$HOME/bibFiles//:$BIBINPUTS"
> export BIBINPUTS=".//:$HOME/bst//:$BSTINPUTS"

That doesn't look quite right, this looks better:

export TEXINPUTS="./:${HOME}/bibFiles:${TEXINPUTS}"

Then type "echo $TEXINPUTS" in a terminal to see what it says.

> I have put these lines in .gnomerc and .profile also

I suggest you try one thing at a time.

> Normal pdflatex and bibtex runs from terminal successfully locates the bib
> folder and bib files

If the directory where you run these commands from is the same directory
that your files are in it doesn't have to look up the environment
variables.  What happens if you type 'echo $BIBINPUTS' in that
directory?

> and generates the document with correct references but orgmode latex
> export does not. If I put the .bib file where my .org file is, then
> orgmode successfuly creates the document with reeerences.
>
> How can i set BIBINPUT correctly so that emacs finds the bib files ?
>
> the following link says that emacs does not recognize .bashrc. Even after
> putting those codes in .gnomerc and .profile, emacs does not find the bib
> files

I wonder if you have another file that is loaded first so that the
~/.profile is not loaded:

$ man bash

"it first reads and executes commands from the file /etc/profile, if
 that file exists.  After reading that file, it looks for
 ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and ~/.profile, in that order, and
 reads and executes commands from the first one that exists and is
 readable."

Myles