Re: [O] [New exporter] Wrong export to LaTeX

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [New exporter] Wrong export to LaTeX
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 14:09:02 +0200

Hello,

Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> writes:

> Okay, I do follow this.  However, doesn't LaTeX_CLASS determine what
> goes into the \documentclass{class name} directive?

No. Key in `org-e-latex-class' is just a label. You can have an
association like:

  ("foo" "\\documentclass{article}" ...)

It is here to help you name different configurations.

> If so, does having \begin{frames}..\end{frames} in the exported tex
> make sense if the documentclass directive says, for example, article?

You can use article, or book document classes along with Beamer, i.e.
when you want to create handouts for your presentation. This requires to
load "beamerarticle" package (cf. Beamer documentation).

So, yes it can make sense to call Beamer back-end on an "article"
documentclass.

> What I'm getting at is, without the LaTeX_CLASS set to beamer, the
> crucial \documentclass{beamer} directive is missing and the exported
> LaTeX document won't be compilable[1].  Given the preceding comments are
> correct, I would then say having a "beamer" class already defined in
> org-e-beamer will save new users some trouble.  Is my analysis valid, or
> am I grossly wrong?

Like in the LaTeX back-end, if you specify some class, you have to make
sure it does match an association in `org-e-latex-classes'. Though,
having a class named "beamer" isn't mandatory: you can have many classes
named differently and all using internally "\\documentclass{beamer}".

Also, I don't want to automatically modify a defcustom
(`org-e-latex-classes') once `org-e-beamer' is loaded. It isn't very
clean, even with careful checks.

`e-beamer' could also default to some header when provided class doesn't
match, but that looks ugly, too.

> Footnotes:
>
> [1] I tried this with the LaTeX_CLASS set to article, and there were
>     errors in the exported pdf.

Because, in that case, your header must contain:

  \usepackage{beamerarticle}

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou