Re: [O] org-capture datetree+prompt: wrong time (range) information in t

From: Gregor Zattler
Subject: Re: [O] org-capture datetree+prompt: wrong time (range) information in timestamp (%T escape sequence)
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 00:08:47 +0200

Hi Bastien, org-mode users + developers:
* Bastien <address@hidden> [24. Sep. 2012]:
> Gregor Zattler <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> But there are two problems with the time information, which I
>> consider to be bugs:
>>
>> 1) If I enter a time *range* at the prompt, the %T expands to the
>>    time when I invoked the capture ("now") while the date is
>>    still the entered day, not today.  This is a mixture of the
>>    events date / recording time which I consider to be a bug.
>>    Instead I expect to see the date and time range of the
>>    appointment.
>
> The %T specifier do not allow ranges.  I've changed the behavior
> here so that, when the user specifies a time range, only the first
> time spec is taken into account.
>
>> 2) If I do not enter a time at all, since for instance the date
>>    is not bound to a time (e.g. holiday, birthday) the %T also
>>    expands to the time when I invoked the capture ("now") while
>>    the date is still the entered day, not today.
>
> The %T specifier _requires_ a time to be set (otherwise you would use
> %t), but I agree the current time looks wrong here.  So this is now
> 00:00 instead.  This does not look perfect, but it's better IMHO.
>
> Thanks for reporting these bugs.

Thanks for fixing this.

Is this somehow possible with only one prompt:

- to be prompted for the date of the event or the date and time /
  time range of the appointment.
- the event/appointment to be recorded in a date tree under it's
  respective date, not under today.
- having a timestamp in the resulting heading
- to see the respective time (range) information in the agenda if
  there is any.

I managed to to this without the date tree but with one level one
heading for each entry.  That's a bit more like Emacs diary, but
I like the date tree because it's hides more information:

(org-capture-templates (quote ( ("d" "diary the Org way" entry (file
"~/org/diary.org") "* %? %^T %^g"))))

Ciao, Gregor
--

P.S.: sorry to Bastien for first replying to him instead of the
list: user input mistake.