Re: [O] sticky agenda and clock persistence interaction

From: Brian van den Broek
Subject: Re: [O] sticky agenda and clock persistence interaction
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 10:32:36 -0400

On 21 September 2012 09:37, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> Brian van den Broek <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I just found that if I have
>>
>> (setq org-agenda-sticky t)
>> (org-clock-persistence-insinuate)
>>
>> in my .emacs---or rather in a file that my .emacs invokes with
>> load-library---I get
>>
>> Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
>> `/home/brian/.emacs':
>>
>> Symbol's function definition is void: org-toggle-sticky-agenda
>
> If you are not requiring Org anyhow, org-agenda-sticky will not be
> known.
>
> What if you do
>
> (require 'org-install)
> (setq org-agenda-sticky t)
> (org-clock-persistence-insinuate)
>
> ?

Hi Bastien,

(After the bad website report, I'm pleased to see I've not done
anything so silly this time :-)

I have a file, ogrconf.el that gets loaded by my .emacs. It starts
with (require 'org-install). So, the error I reported emerged from
what you suggest, save that I have a few hundred lines of config
between the require and the sticky and persistence lines.

I just tested, and if I start out my orgconf.el with

(require 'org-install)
(setq org-agenda-sticky t)
(org-clock-persistence-insinuate)

(thus, putting the relevant lines before any of my other org
configuration) I get the same warning I reported in the original post.
I've not done the backtrace assuming that the same warning with pretty
much the same cause would have the same backtrace; I'm happy to
provide if it is wanted.

>> The backtrace from running with --debug-init is attached.
>
> (Btw, there is a suspicious ~/.emacsd/ here -- not ~/.emacs.d/.
> Looks weird but maybe that's intentional.)

It's intentional. At some point, my .emacs became unwieldy. I
separated my config into a bunch of files which .emacs loads and put
them into a user-created dir ~/.emacsd,  leaving ~/.emacs.d for emacs
to have its way with. I prefer to enforce separation between files I
administer and those under emacs's control.

Best,

Brian