Re: [O] can't find org-version?

From: Christopher J. White
Subject: Re: [O] can't find org-version?
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 07:34:35 -0700

So in version 7.8 and earlier, org-version is both a variable and a function. The function is not useful to coders because it displays the version string as a message:

(org-version)
"Org-mode version 7.8.03 (release_7.8.03.437.g60ca.dirty)"

org-version
"7.8.03"

I used org-version as a variable because there was an incompatibility between 7.7 and 7.8 for the function org-export-remove-or-extract-drawers.

So, what is the proper way to get the version number in 7.9? It seems awkward to me that all clients would have to require something other than just "org" to get the version number, but I can live with that.

What I don't want to do, though, is mess around with testing for the existence of various functions and variables just to figure out where to get the version number from.

Why not just keep the variable org-version around just like in 7.8 and earlier?

Otherwise, can someone please post a code snippet that gets me the version string "7.8.03" that will work with 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9?

...cj