Re: [O] bugs in commenting and filling

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] bugs in commenting and filling
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 13:44:37 +0200

Hello,

Samuel Wales <address@hidden> writes:

> Here are 6 bugs (or at least changes that might need to be
> documented) in Org commenting and filling.
>
> Context: commenting and filling used to use generic Emacs
> facilities, but now use Org-specific ones.
>
> original:
>
> ===
>
> bug 1: the line above now does not get commented even if
> comment-empty-lines is t.
>
>   bug 2: this line now does not indent consistently with the
> rest of emacs.
> ===
>
> comment-dwim:
>
> ===
> # x
>
> # bug 1: the line above now does not get commented even if
> # comment-empty-lines is t.
>
>   # bug 2: this line now does not indent consistently with the
> # rest of emacs.
> ===

Both fixed.

>   bug 3: outside of org with filladapt turned OFF, filling this
> paragraph does not
> indent it.  also auto-fill
> indents unlike the rest of emacs.  ret tab is ok.

Fixed.

> #bug 4: this paragraph now gets exported in HTML subtree
> #export, which will likely surprise many people who formerly
> #used "#" comments instead of "# " comments and don't
> #carefully check all output.  they might
> #even publish private information automatically without
> #realizing it using old files that they forgot or did not
> #know to convert.

This has been announced in 7.9 changes.

> #bug 5: filling this paragraph with "===" on the following
> #line will fill the ===, unlike the rest of emacs with
> #filladapt turned ON.  we are supposed to not use filladapt
> #with org.  therefore, how do you emulate the filladapt
> #behavior so that there is consistency between emacs and
> #org?

I don't know filladapt.el. I've done my homework, though, and looked at
the file.

If you want to use filladapt.el, you'll have to tweak
`filladapt-token-*' variables. If you come up with a working setup,
please put it on org-hacks.org as some users may appreciate it.

For example, `cc-mode' does it in `c-setup-filladapt' function.

> Bug 6: what does the Org-specific commenting do?  i was not
> able to determine that from the docstring to
> org-comment-or-uncomment-region.  maybe update docstring
> would help others trying to find out why commenting works
> differently in org from the rest of emacs?

I don't think such explanations belong to
`org-comment-or-uncomment-region' docstring. Though, I have dropped
a note in org.el:

   Org comments syntax is quite complex. It requires the entire line to
   be just a comment. Also, even with the right syntax at the beginning
   of line, some some elements (i.e. verse-block or example-block) don't
   accept comments. Usual Emacs comment commands cannot cope with those
   requirements. Therefore, Org replaces them.

   Org still relies on `comment-dwim', but cannot trust
   `comment-only-p'. So, `comment-region-function' and
   `uncomment-region-function' both point
   to`org-comment-or-uncomment-region'. Eventually, `org-insert-comment'
   takes care of insertion of comments at the beginning of line.

I hope it is clearer now.

Thanks for the detailed report.

Regards,

--