Re: [O] How to make kill-sexp work as in the rest of Emacs?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] How to make kill-sexp work as in the rest of Emacs?
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 23:43:19 -0400

Samuel Wales <address@hidden> wrote:

> I like doing kill-sexp to kill a "quoted string like this".  How do I
> get that to
> work again?

It does not work the same way in the "rest of emacs": sexp commands
behave differently depending on the mode. You can e.g.

   (set-syntax-table lisp-mode-syntax-table)

and then the sexp commands will behave lispishly. C-mode buffers do
the equivalent of

   (set-syntax-table c-mode-syntax-table)

and text mode buffers (of which org-mode is a derived mode) do

   (set-syntax-table text-mode-syntax-table)

Setting the syntax table to e.g. the lisp mode one will certainly allow
you to kill quoted strings with kill-sexp. Whether it has other, less
desirable consequences, I don't know: you'll just have to try and see.

Nick