Re: [O] comma as decimal point: bug?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] comma as decimal point: bug?
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 12:09:23 -0400

Karl Voit <address@hidden> wrote:

> * Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Rainer Thiel <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> >> I have seen that as of v. 7.9, org tables are supposed to accept
> >> commas as decimal points which is useful if you set up tables to be
> >> used in in files where continental conventions are expected to be
> >> followed.
> >
> > Actually, this more subtle. Tables recognize numbers with a comma as the
> > decimal mark. But it only means such numbers will be properly aligned to
> > the right. Internally, calculations still require dot separator.
>
> When I read the change-list of Org, I bet that there *will* be
> problems because of this cosmetic change :-)
>
> From user experience perspective, it is quite clear that «Org
> recognizes numbers with commas» will be mixed up with «Org can
> calculate with numbers containing commas». You can not make this
> clear - even with renaming the settings variable.
>
> Although I totally understand that numbers with commas should be
> made possible (I am a German speaking guy) I guess there will be
> even more issues in the future as long as cosmetics and
> functionality is not aligned.

Agreed, but IIUC the main problem is that org depends on calc for
the calculations and calc is firmly in the "decimal point MUST be
a period" camp. So the cosmetics/functionality alignment would involve
surgery on calc, something that nobody should undertake lightly -
if at all :-).

I believe the above statement is correct but if anybody has better
information, please correct me.

Nick