Re: [O] MobileOrg, webdav, correct use of org-mobile-directory?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] MobileOrg, webdav, correct use of org-mobile-directory?
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 22:41:55 -0400

Adam Spiers <address@hidden> wrote:

> Yes, it doesn't make sense to use tramp to scp files to localhost :-)
>
> > Your other email shows that you figured this out.
> >
> > > 2. This destination is modeled on the docs, so if it's wrong, then so is
> > > the doc.
> >
> > Not really: the destination in the doc does not specify the port (80).
> > That's the HTTP port, so scp won't work with that - that's what I picked
> > up when I said it looked wrong. It needs the sshd port (22 by default
> > and implied if you leave it out of the scp path in tramp).
>
> Right, but scp'ing to localhost doesn't make sense.  He should just
> use the normal local filesystem path instead and skip tramp.

Well, to pick a nit: many times one has to model a multi-machine
situation on a single machine; after everything is debugged, then
various pieces are installed on various machines.

It makes sense in that situation to use tramp/scp and webdav/http even
locallly.

Nick

PS. For another example, sometimes I use tramp/scp to edit local files
    as a different user than the owner of the emacs process, e.g. files
    owned by root, particularly when there is a number of them that need
    to be changed and they are in the same directory: use tramp to open
    the directory as root and then dired to open files. Most of the time
    however, I do such minor changes with "sudo ed" in a shell buffer
    :-)