Re: [O] [OT] ELNODE is soon to be released as version 1.0

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: [O] [OT] ELNODE is soon to be released as version 1.0
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 14:31:05 -0500

>> Is elnode a Free Software - AGPL?

If elnode is under GPLv3 or later, it's still free software.

> I was looking for a license but it seems to have it under COPYING.
> Anyways, should it be AGPL?

I'm a big fan of the AGPL... my own personal project uses it... but I
might be somewhat cautious about releasing a web framework under that
library.  There's a huge scope of things you may be unintentionally be
forcing people to share (such as passwords, etc) especially since
configuration is done in lisp.  I think complying with the distribution
requirements of the AGPL may be hard for a lot of elnode projects in
ways that are not intended without carefully crafted exceptions.  I
think AGPL makes a lot of sense for web applications, but I'd be
cautious about using it for libraries as such.

But that's just my two cents and I know not all AGPL supporters would
agree with me on this.