Re: [O] MobileOrg, webdav, correct use of org-mobile-directory?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] MobileOrg, webdav, correct use of org-mobile-directory?
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 08:40:23 -0400

James Harkins <address@hidden> wrote:

> At Sun, 12 Aug 2012 00:29:20 -0400,
> Nick Dokos wrote:
> > This looks wrong - if you try it with scp from the command line, can
> > you copy a file to that destination?
>
> OK, I played a little more with scp and got closer -- I can copy a file from
> the command line:
>
> scp /home/[myuser]/tmp/afile.txt address@hidden:/var/www/mobileorg/web

There are two possibilities here:

o /var/www/mobileorg/web is a directory and you are copying the file
  into that directory under the name "afile.txt".

o /var/www/mobileorg is a directory, /var/www/mobileorg/web either
  does not exist or is a file in that directory and you are copying
  the file into the directory /var/www/mobileorg under the name "web".

The directory check *should* catch this case, but you might want to
double check that the "remote" directory
localhost:/var/www/mobileorg/web does indeed exist and is writable
by [myuser].

> And "address@hidden:/var/www/mobileorg/web" for org-mobile-directory avoids
> the directory check error, but then:
>
> org-mobile-create-sumo-agenda: Cannot write to file
> /scpc:address@hidden:/var/www/mobileorg/web/agendas.org

Also check the permissions on /var/www/mobileorg/web: in particular, you
might want to execute the following check (the check that
org-mobile-create-sumo-agenda does) in your *scratch* buffer:

  (file-writable-p "/scpc:address@hidden:/var/www/mobileorg/web/agendas.org")

Just cut and paste it into your *scratch* buffer, put the cursor after
the closing paren and press C-j. If it says nil, something is wrong.

One more thing: is tramp enabled in your emacs? Just try to open the
remote directory with

  C-x C-f /scpc:address@hidden:/var/www/mobileorg/web RET

I'm not sure that tramp needs any special attention (I cannot find anything
in my setup), but it doesn't hurt to check.

Nick