Re: [O] Introducing Octopress Exporter

From: Neil Smithline
Subject: Re: [O] Introducing Octopress Exporter
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 18:28:50 -0400

Aurélien Aptel <mailto:address@hidden>
Aug 2, 2012 05:45
I've never heard of octopress, interesting. The only thing I don't
like is how comments are handled. Since it's all static you relying on
an external service like Disqus. I'm not so fond of losing control
over user contribution like that. Besides, the actual service (disqus)
is pretty terrible anyway. I'm always pissed when the comment I sent
gets processed in weird ways yet doesn't do verbatim/code blocks.

Org Mode and Octopress are both about owning your own data. They are a perfect fit.

You can get email notifications of your comments or RSS (see http://www.accmanpro.com/2011/01/27/subscribe-to-all-comments-using-disqus-in-7-easy-steps/) feeds of all your comments. A simple mail filter and you own your comments. You can even save them to individual, HTML files.

I'm wondering what blogging system you use and if you really own your comments as much as you think. I would argue that individual HTML files on my hard drive is a greater degree of ownership than who-knows-what in some database....

I think that the decision about the use of external service for comments (or anything else) is a very important question. Assuming that you can own your data, an absolute requirement for me, I think that combining a static blog with external, dynamic services is the perfect solution. I've discussed this at http://www.neilsmithline.com/blog/2012/07/22/blurring-static-and-dynamic-blogs/.

My __static__ Octopress blog is hosted by Github, displays dynamic recent tweets care of Twitter, recent Github activity via Github, has a per-article "Buzz" section thanks to SocialMention, and even automatically tweets whenever I add a new post via Feedburner and Gmail filters.

I should add that my blog is 100% free with the exception of the computer I compose the posts on.

For me, static content combined with dynamic interaction is the best solution I've found and I've used many blogging services or self-hosted blogs.

Octopress is actually my second static blogging system. I used Nanoblogger before (I highly don't recommend it). I imported my posts from Nanoblogger to Octopress with relative really ease because they were both plain-text static blogs. I discuss it at http://www.neilsmithline.com/blog/2012/05/14/new-blog-tech/. Importing posts from other blogging systems that squirreled everything into a DB seemed to painful to me.

Neil

PS: I saw a mention of comment spam. I think that Disqus does a pretty good job of managing that. It also helps that my blog is not an attractive target as it probably has no more than two or three viewers.