Re: [O] are super-hidden technical blocks required?

From: Ilya Shlyakhter
Subject: Re: [O] are super-hidden technical blocks required?
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 18:50:47 -0400

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 6:20 PM, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
>> What about a HIDDEN_PROPERTIES drawer that, when folded, folds
>> completely (so that its title line is hidden too), and have a key to
>> reveal such drawers (the way M-tab opens archived entries)?
>
> This is begging for problems.  At some point, an user will start to
> notice weird behaviour he cannot explain from, let's say, the exporter,
> because he will have completely forgotten about one totally hidden
> drawer setting export options.
>
> I don't think anything should be made totally invisible. There should
> always be visual clues for such things.

But if _every_ entry has a visible PROPERTIES drawer (because a
creation and last-modification
dates of the entry are stored there), then entries for which custom
export options were set no longer stand out.
Just as, if you BOLD every word in a document, BOLD no longer acts as
a highlight.

So, I agree that unique customizations should lead to a visible indicator.
But for properties that aren't really customizations ( creation date,
modification date, unique ID ),
a visible indicator only clutters things without acting as a useful highlight.
So, what about making a UNIVERSAL_PROPERTIES drawer that is normally
completely hidden,
unless you explicitly reveal it?