Re: [Orgmode] Re: spreadsheet in org

From: Richard G Riley
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: spreadsheet in org
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 10:23:36 +0200

Thomas Baumann <address@hidden> writes:

> Richard G Riley <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Here is a straightforward spreadsheet:
>>

>> * Test org-mode spreadsheet for cash books
>>

>> |   | Name             |           Cash |
>> |---+------------------+----------------|
>> | _ |                  |    cashforward |
>> |   |                  |          68000 |
>> | _ |                  |       cashtake |
>> |   | cash takings     |           2340 |
>> | _ |                  |       cashbank |
>> |   | moved to bank    |           2000 |
>> |---+------------------+----------------|
>> | _ |                  |           cash |
>> | # | subtotal         |          68340 |
>> |---+------------------+----------------|
>> |   | emp1             |            315 |
>> |   | emp2             |            289 |
>> |   |                  |              0 |
>> |   |                  |              0 |
>> |---+------------------+----------------|
>> | _ |                  |          wages |
>> | # | total wages      |            604 |
>> |---+------------------+----------------|
>> | _ |                  | cashafterwages |
>> | # | Cash After Wages |          67736 |
>> |---+------------------+----------------|
>> #+TBLFM:
>> $cash=$cashforward+$cashtake-$cashbank::$cashafterwages=$cash-$wages::$wages=vsum(@address@hidden)
>>
>> My questions are:
>
>> Can one not actually name a specific cell? Or must the name itself be
>> stored above or below the cell?
>
> C-c'
> gives you a nice interface to the table formulas, making names
> almost obsolete

I dont see how - names make the formula readable.  How does this buffer
makes anything much easier in terms of cell referencing?

>> The wages field : how to generalise this to allow for rows to be
>> added/deleted in the emp1,emp2 block?
>
> $wages = vsum(@address@hidden)
> will do the trick (sum between hlines)
> apart from that, if you add rows using M-S-down your formulas will be
> adjusted automatically.

Thats nice - thanks.

>> Or is there a totally better way to do this? I didnt see a way for all
>> fields to auto calculate when a certain field was changed. One has to
>> tab over the "#" in the left hand column. Or?
>
> As the manual says: C-u C-c *

That is not the same thing as auto recalculation as in excel or similar
: you must manually invoke it. This is easily forgotten (well by me :-;)

> you might also want to look at the Tbl menu
>

>> Oh yes, can one change the enter mode so that the field only edits if
>> you press enter first? And then it preselects the previous contents so a
>> single key other than cursor keys will wipe the previous contents?
>> Currently if I type "5" in the wages field above then, depending where
>> the cursor is, I get (for example) 6504.
>
> The interface is already outstandingly smart: Try moving with the TAB
> from one field to another or use enter to stay inside the column. You
> will notice that the requested features are already present. Maybe, also
> try another couple of spreadsheets :-)

If I tab to a field above and press enter a new row appears. It is bound
to org-return. (Latest version). Also there is no preselection of the cell
contents so if I type "8" when I have tabbed to the "cashbank" field
above then I get "| 8 2040 |".