Re: [Orgmode] Passing an option to org-file-apps?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Passing an option to org-file-apps?
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 09:02:57 +0200

On Jul 17, 2008, at 5:30 AM, anhnmncb wrote:

Hi, list,
I have an external link like this:
 [[file:~/doc/foo.pdf]]
And I have configured to use xpdf to open it, but every time I open it,
it always at the first page.

If can I pass an option to xpdf, so after I finish reading, I change the
page number, then next time I open it, it will automatically open that
page for me?

Something like this:
 [[file:~/doc/foo.pdf 25]]
So org will invoke xpdf in this way: xpdf ~/doc/foo.pdf 25.

Org has no mechanism to pass switches to external commands. But you can try to find a pdf viewer that supports going back to a previous location. For example, "Preview" in MacOS X does this, maybe there are also open source programs that do it.

- Carsten