Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-refile gets the level wrong

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-refile gets the level wrong
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 11:37:05 +0200

Tahnks for suggesting this improvement to the documentation - it is now implemented.

- Carsten

On Aug 18, 2008, at 10:29 PM, Trey Jackson wrote:

Bernt wrote:
I think this is expected behaviour.  Your startup options are
conflicting.  You normally have only one of showstarts or hidestars
since their settings are mutually exclusive.  You also only have one of
odd or oddeven.  I think the last encountered setting wins so your
startup options are equivalent to

#+STARTUP: hidestars oddeven

Duh.

FWIW, I was blindly cut/pasting from the *info* pages, which says:
(section: 14.5 A cleaner outline view)

,----------------
|   2. _Hiding leading stars_
|      You can modify the display in such a way that all leading stars
|      become invisible.  To do this in a global way, configure the
|      variable `org-hide-leading-stars' or change this on a per-file
|      basis with
|
|           #+STARTUP: showstars
|           #+STARTUP: hidestars
`----------------

When I actually read it, it's obvious, but given the context, I think it'd
be better to have the docs read something like:

 2. _Hiding leading stars_
    You can modify the display in such a way that all leading stars
    become invisible.  To do this in a global way, configure the
    variable `org-hide-leading-stars' or add this line to top of the file:

         #+STARTUP: hidestars

    Note that the opposite behavior is selected with 'showstars'.

TJ

--
Trey Jackson
address@hidden

"Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer,
for chaos and madness await thee at its end."
-- #2 of the Ten Commandments for C programmers