Re: [Orgmode] Pop up reference card

From: Sebastian Rose
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Pop up reference card
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 18:47:26 +0200

Hi Alan,

you could use the splash screen feature of emacs for this. I do this, to
display my own keyboard shortcuts (and those I tend to forget).

A screenshot of an older version is here:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SebastiansSplashScreenShot

I've bound C-M-k to show the keys and their descriptions. Any click or
keypress will hide them again.

To just add the table as plain text, you could do this:

(defun sr-display-keys()
  "Meine Tastenkürzel nach dem Start anzeigen"
  (interactive)
  (get-buffer-create "sr-info")
  (switch-to-buffer "sr-info" t)
  (with-current-buffer (get-buffer "sr-info")
    ;(setq left-margin-width 20)         ; Ränder sind immer Buffer-lokal
    (set-window-buffer (selected-window) "sr-info")
    (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap)))
      (use-local-map map)
      ; (define-key map [t]) würde auf jedes Mausevent reagieren.
      (define-key map [mouse-1] 'sr-kill-startup-buffer) ; auf Klick reagieren.
      (define-key map [mouse-3] 'sr-kill-startup-buffer) ; auf Klick reagieren.
      (define-key map [mouse-2] 'sr-kill-startup-buffer) ; auf Klick reagieren.
      (define-key map [(control meta ?k)] 'sr-kill-startup-buffer)
      (setq cursor-type nil             ; No Cursor
            display-hourglass nil
            buffer-undo-list t)         ; No Undo.

      (insert "HERE GOES YOUR TEXT (SHORTCUT TABLE)")

      (insert "\n")
      (insert (propertize
"-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
                          'face
                          '( :weight bold :background "RosyBrown1" :foreground
"black")))
      (insert "\n\n   Press Key Or Click To Get Rid Of This Buffer\n\n\n")
      (insert "                        ")
      (goto-char (point-min))
      (set-buffer-modified-p nil)
      (make-local-hook 'after-change-functions)
      (add-to-list 'after-change-functions 'sr-kill-startup-buffer)
      )))

--
Sebastian Rose, Hannover, Germany
Phone: +49 173 83 93 417