Re: [Orgmode] graphing from org-tables

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] graphing from org-tables
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 14:00:27 -0700

On Jul 28, 2008, at 7:26 AM, Eric Schulte wrote:
3) Currently I find it very useful to be able to see an initial plot
  of a table with a single command, however there should be a sliding
  scale from ease of plotting to greater control over the final plot.
  Maybe through specification of gnuplot options through properties,
  or simply specification of a gnuplot script.

First of all, I do believe it would be good to move the plotting
settings to outside the table, either before or after.

I can see good ways to specify parameters for a plot that would be quite
consistent with how Org deals with such things in similar situations.

1. A special comment line in the buffer, directly before the table, like

#+PLOT: table-to-gnuplot :xcol 1 :ycols (2 4 5 6) :title "Some string"

or

#+PLOT: table-to-R :script "/path/to/script"

The command can read these by macthing

(if (looking-at "#+PLOT: +\\([^ \t\r\n]+\\)\\( +.*\\)?")
    (let* ((func (intern (match-string 1)))
           (params-plist
            (if (match-end 2)
                (read (concat "(" (match-string 2 format) ")")))))

2. Use inherited properties to specify plotting parameters in a tree.